I'm at a dead end trying to find information on my great great great grandfather Samuel Tower  He was born in  about 1810, perhaps in Falmouth or Edgecomb, Maine.  He lived in Holden, Mass.,, for a time then moved to Boston where he died in 1866.

Any information or leads would be much appreciated.   

Views: 144

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Can you give me the names of his wife and any children?

He married Susan H. Phelps in 1835 in Holden, MA (I think).

They had nine (9) children:

Henry

Lucinda

Mathilda (my great grandmother)

Samuel Jr.

George

Cornelia

Eliza

John

Annie 

Thanks. Do you have a solid source for the 1866 death date? A Samuel Tower died in Boston in 1863 who was born 2 Oct. 1812 in Waterville, Maine, the son of Collins and Nancy Tower:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N7JC-58S

His death record gives his occupation as "machinist," which matches the occupation of your Samuel in 1860.

Samuel and Susan's marriage record gives his name as "Tozer". There was no Collins Tower living in Waterville around the time Samuel was born, but there was a Collins Tozer or Tozier. (Collins and Nancy Tozier of Waterville sold David Nourse in 1813 land in Waterville "set off to the sd Nancy Tozier as her right of dower in the Estate of her late husband David Hasty, deceased" [See Kennebec Deeds, 56/266]. Nancy was presumably the Nancy Foot who married David Hastey in 1803.)

The Toziers of Waterville do appear to have come from the Georgetown—not far from Edgecomb.

Chris, thank you so much for all this work.

For starters, I do not have a solid source for his death being in 1866, so it could very well be 1863.

I also looked at the birth record of one of his sons, John Phelps Tower, who lists his father as Samuel William Tower (wife Susan), who was born in Waterville, Maine.

Also, this is not the first time I've seen the last name reference as Tozer.

Sounds like you're onto something, doesn't it.  Is there more information on Collins Tozer (Tozier) and/or his ancestors?

The Toziers of Waterville/Winslow/Fairfield appear to descend from John Tozer and his wife Sarah Pattee (whose mother's maiden name was Collins). The History of Waterville says that "Deacon John Tozier was here as early as 1770." I would guess that Collins Tozier was a grandson of this couple, but I can't say who his parents were.

A Nancy Tozer lived in Fairfield in 1820 with a male under the age of 10 and two females aged 10-16. I suspect this was the widow of Collins, which would explain why he doesn't show up in later censuses. Nancy Hasty was living in Waterville in 1810 with two young girls, so she probably had a couple of daughters with her first husband, and a son (Samuel) with her second.

Very interesting.  Thank you so much, Chris.

RSS

Ancestry.com

Fold3.com

Search Fold3 Records

© 2017   Created by Chris Dunham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service