I've been searching for the parent's of Simon Elwell. Someone posted a will in 2001 on genealogy.com of a Joseph Elwell, farmer (YCP 24:464) of Wells. It lists a son Simon who was less than 21 yrs in 1800 as he leaves "$10 to be pd at ae 21y." [My Simon was in Machias dob was listed as 1798. M. Amelia Adeline Smith.]

Joseph lists wife Olive, dau Catherine, son John, dau Olive, Simon, son Levi, dau Dorcas, son Hezekiah and son Joseph.

Dated 19 March 1800

Signed John Webber, James Baston, Jotham Allen

This was supposedly publ. in "York County Maine Will Abstractsm 18" (Don't know if that is typo)

No where else have I found anything about a Simon Elwell which fits the date. Wondering how to confirm this is my Simon's family.  

Views: 201

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Anne: can you email me at vtu15@tds.net, please?  I am researching Albees and Elwells, so we may be able to swap info.  My Albees are in Machias, as are Elwells, but I don't have a Simon.  Joseph Elwell (1715-1746) was my 7th Gr-grandfather.He was born in Gloucester, MA and died in Wells.  Dau. Elizabeth married John King Cole, so that's another whole line!  

And I show the James Baston you mentioned as a brother-in-law of a 9th gr-uncle. Haven't researched that line, but ihe's somehow to the Elwells as a neighbor or friend, I'm guessing.

James Baston was a witness to the will. But will was 1800, so may not be same? We've got the same peeps so we must be family. ;-) I'll email you.

You can view the will of Joseph Elwell here. The estate file begins here and runs for 17 pages.

Thank you so much. So far I've read pp 843-879 as the wills go on to the sons...More later!

I know this is a very late reply to this but I think I am related to Joseph Elwell and Olive Betel/Bedell/Beedle plus various other spellings of her name.  Dorcas Elwell married Abiel Cutter of Westbrook, Maine where our families still live. Just wondering how you did with following that line?

Hi Dennis B. Cutter, 

I only have what I stated in my first post. Still looking for proof, or more proof. Do you have any more info on Joseph and Olive? It would be so nice to finally know about them. 

Thanks, Anne

Sorry I'm in same position you are. The will matches up perfectly with all the names I have in my tree and I have this marriage record and that's about all:

Joseph Elwel, "Maine, Marriages, 1771-1907"
Name:     Joseph Elwel
Birth Date:     
Birthplace:     
Spouse's Birth Date:     
Spouse's Birthplace:     
Spouse's Age:     
Event Date:     22 Feb 1783
Event Place:     York, York, Maine
Father's Name:     
Mother's Name:     
Spouse's Father's Name:     
Spouse's Mother's Name:     
Race:     
Marital Status:     
Previous Wife's Name:     
Spouse's Race:     
Spouse's Marital Status:     
Spouse's Previous Husband's Name:     
Indexing Project (Batch) Number:     I05027-2
System Origin:     Maine-EASy
GS Film number:     12836
Reference ID:     101

I got my information from the book written by a Benjamin Cutter back in the 1870's and his son. Joseph would be my 4th great grandfather and that's all I have.

I have another Elwell connection, Henry Herbert Cutter my great grandfather married a Harriet(Hattie) E. Elwell and she is buried in the Saccarappa here in Westbrook with her father Benjamin Elwell b. 1825 d. 1890 and mother Lavina Allen b. 1821 d. 1890. I'm guessing that Dorcas and Joseph might be grandparents or other close relations but I have no proof. So all and all the Elwell's have been a nice brick wall just like you have. 

I just did my DNA and have put it on a site called gedmatch.com and except for one distant Cutter connection I haven't seen anyone from the Cutter side of my ancestors. I've done much better with all my mothers Nova Scotia relatives who are so interconnected that you can't throw a rock up there without hitting some cousin, ha ha ha...

I did find this, relating to Olive Beedle/Beddel/Bedel:

Eleazer Beddel of York, husbandman (YCP 20:428)
Being weak in body and indisposed of body
TO my wife Marsa Beddel, 1/4 of the yearly income of all kinds of produce that grows on my RE with the back room in my house and sufficient firewood dur her nat life, with 1 cow, 2 sheep and a swine of 1 y old, and aft her dec it shall return to my son Eleazer Beddel.
To my son Henry Beddel, $10 to be pd in stock and lumber in 4y aft my dec.
To my son Joseph Beddel, $25, 1/2 in 1y aft my dec, 1/2 in 3y aft my dec.
To my son Eleazer Beddel, ther remainder of my est of all kinds, he paying out to my 3 daus herafter named.
To my dau Mary Webber, $1.

To my dau Olive Elwell, 1 3y old heifer to be pd in 3y aft my dec with the chest of drawers that belonged to her mother.
To my dau Hannah Allen, 1 3y old heifer to be pd in 5yr aft my dec.
Appt my son Eleazer Beddel exer.
Dated 15 April 1803
Signed with his mark
Witnesses: Daniel Blaisdel, Jerediah Blaisdel, Samuel Trafton
In Probate 19 April 1806

I didn't have this thanks. I notice right at the end one of the daughters was married to an Allen, Hanna. My great grandmother Harriet E. Elwell mother was a Lavina Allen and her father was Benjamin Elwell. Again it looks like maybe the same families staying close to each other.

found this today: 

Name: Mary E Goodwin
[Mary E Blake] 
Birth Date: abt 1840
Birth Place: York, Maine
Death Date: 15 Nov 1910
Death Place: Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Age at Death: 70
Father: Samuel Blake
Mother: Dorcas Beddel
Wills and Probates: Search for Mary E Goodwin in Massachusetts Wills & Probates col...

RSS

Ancestry.com

Fold3.com

Search Fold3 Records

© 2017   Created by Chris Dunham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service