Josiah York, b. 1798-1802 in Gilford/Meredith, N.H, Died 1867, Wells, Maine

Many descendants of Josiah York married to Catherine Davis circa 1834 in Wells, Maine have been unable to find or prove who his parents are.  1850 N.H. census says he was born in  Gilford, N.H., but several of his children's death records say Meredith, N.H.     They had 12 children of whom 11 survived.  He is my grt. grt. grt. grandfather.

All available records have been checked both at the state and town levels and no record has been found in N.H.

The latest info found, and it has been a few years, was in an old diary acquired by the Wells/Ogunquit Hist. Soc.  which states:

"Also, old Josiah York, who came from down in central Maine, who had been driven out and in jail there came to Wells and married one of the Davis girls and had a big family".

I have checked the records in Augusta and did not find any criminal record and hope I did not miss anything.    Does anyone have any ideas of where my next search should be?

Would it be in my best interest to write to each town in Maine where I know there were family of Yorks from N.H. and see what their town records may have. Josiah may have gone to live with a relative.

Thanks for any advise received.  I may have to label my file "stone wall to hard to climb over".

Judy

Views: 221

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do you have a list of children. I have a copy of the Wells Vital Records. Josiah York passed on 7 May 1867 in Wells.

Could not find a record of marriage in Wells. Belong to Ancestry, did find a 1850 census showing that he was living in Wells. Also found FIND A GRAVE on Josiah and Catherine both buried in Ocean View Cemtery Wells ME

Death date for Josiah died age 74 VR of Wells showed died age 70

Date for Catherine shows died age 72 with a date of 14 Dec 1888, could not find death for her in VR of wells.  

Mona:

Thanks for replying.  I have all known info on family and have followed each child with no success regarding a clue to Josiah's parents.   As we know, many old records were lost via fires in clerk's homes and town buildings.

Due to the fact that we are unsure of Josiah's birth date and lost census records in N.H. for the 1810/1820's in the area that he might have lived has furthered the search.

Once again thank you.

Judy, If you are still looking for the parents of Josiah York, who resided in Wells. I believe I have the answer. I to have been stumped by this one. I am not sure if he is in my family, I was chasing another York, when I came across this. My e-mail is can run egg bell south.net.

Dave

You will make my Christmas.

Dave:

Your e-mail is not recognized.   

I am having a hard time with this format. See me at 

vanryndg at bell south . net

RSS

Ancestry.com

Fold3.com

Search Fold3 Records

© 2017   Created by Chris Dunham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service