Hello everyone,

I am trying to find my husbands GG Grandfather. I am having a difficult time trying to find his parents and his wife's parents. this is what I have:

Frank J. Ripley

b. abt 1833/35 some confusion on this a bit

d.Jan. 31 1922 in whitefield maine

he married Iva Ardella Whitten possibly on Oct 6, 1882. She was born Jun 4 1861 in Westport maine. Any info helps. I found a Maine veteran cemetery record stating that his next of kin was a John Ripley. I can't find any connection between a John and Frank Ripley. Please help.

Patricia Carey

Views: 179

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Frank's death record is here, and says that he was the son of John Ripley and Adeline Turner, and was born in Augusta.

I believe he was actually the son of John S. Ripley and Adeline B. Tibbetts, who married in 1846They lived in Augusta in 1850 with infant son Frank. John had apparently died by 1860.

There is a deed at the Kennebec County registry (book 173, page 220) dated 3 Jan. 1850, in which William Norcross and Lucretia Norcross (in her right), William G. Tibbetts and Louisa Tibbetts (in her right), Louis P. Ripley, and John S. Ripley, all of Augusta, sold Daniel S. Ripley of Augusta their rights to some land in Augusta formerly owned by their mother Ruth S. Ripley. John's wife Adeline also signed the deed. Lucretia, Louisa, Louis, John and Daniel were children of Christopher Ripley and Ruth S. Prescott, who had married in 1803.

There is another deed (book 308, page 102) that suggests that Adeline was the sister of John A. Tibbetts of Augusta, which would make her a daughter of John Tibbetts and Esther Norcross.

Both Frank's mother and sister appear to have died in 1885.

Frank's age in the 1900 census was given as 45, but in 1910 he was 75, and in 1920 he was 81. As evidence that Frank was younger than later censuses and his death record say, this pension payment card indicates that he had served as a landsman in the U.S. Navy. Naval enlistment records show a Frank Ripley, born about 1850 in Augusta, enlisting at Boston in 1872 and 1882.

Iva was evidently the girl enumerated here in 1870 and here in 1880, the daughter of Charles H. and Mary J. Whitten of Westport.

Frank J Ripley was my wife's (Madlyn Mary Hill) gr grandfather via his wife Iva Ardelia Whitten   I have the Whitten line pretty complete.  They had a daughter (among others), Ethel May.  She married a George H Hill Jr.  One of the Hills (Josephine) married a Lloyd Carey.  Is this your husband's line?  The info that Chris Dunham gave you is good, I even got a couple of names out of it.  I have never fully delved into Frank J Ripley's mothers line.

RSS

Ancestry.com

Fold3.com

Search Fold3 Records

© 2017   Created by Chris Dunham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service