I have a 1883 State of Maine telephone book that may be an excellent source of information for many genealogists in the State of Maine.   The book covers the entire State of Maine and is broken down into phone divisions in the state such as Portland Division and the Lewiston-Kennebec Division.  The Portland Division had assigned phone numbers.  Other divisions had only names.  Most of the listings are businesses but there are many homes listed.  I'd be more then willing to look up names for those interested

Dan

dan_pontbriand@hotmail.com

Views: 195

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dan,

I'd love your help. Please reply to this message if you're still there. Thanks.

Brett Daigle

Brett,

Please send me your list of names and I'll have a look for you...   The towns your relatives lived in would also be very helpful..

Dan

dan_pontbriand@hotmail.com

Dan,

Great to hear back from you. Ya know, I was just thinking about it and you might be wasting your time. My family didn't come across the pond until 1881. I doubt there were phones in town two years after they got there. Anyway, if you have time you can look up any Linds, Adamsons, Petersons, Lundbergs, Hedes and Berglinds. Linds and Hedes would be Stockholm. The rest are probably Jemtland, Westmanland. New Sweden might be a bit of a stretch. But please feel free to cross-reference all the names with all the towns. No rush on this at all.  I think there's going to be few if any. But thanks for your effort.

Brett

Brett

I took a look and there does not appear to be phone service north of Bangor for a few more years.   There were no listings for towns north of Bangor.  Bangor is included as well as Ellsworth and Bar Harbor but towns north of Bangor just we not included in this first edition of the Maine telephone book dated 1883.

Some towns in Maine had one pay telephone only in 1883 such as Mechanic Falls and a few towns near Bangor.  I searched the phone book anyway and didn't see any of your names.   Hope this helps in some way.. 

RSS

Ancestry.com

Fold3.com

Search Military Records - Fold3

© 2018   Created by Chris Dunham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service