I'm trying to help my sister with a big 1812 event this Oct. 27, 2013.

She needs the name and a couple of sentences of an ancestor of ours who served during the war. Here's all I could find. Does any of it look useful? William Gross, age 44, was our 4th great grandfather. He lived in Freeport with his wife Deborah Griffin and children. A Pvt. William Gross appears on the following Massachusetts Volunteer Militia lists called out by the Governor of Massachusetts to suppress a threatened invasion during the War of 1812-14 

Lieut Capt. G. Paget's Company, Lieut. Col. S. Holland's Regiment. From Sept. 14 to Sept. 24, 1814. 
Raised at Jay. Service at Portland.

Capt. W. Morrison's Company, Lieut. Col. W. Ryerson's Regiment. From Sept. 25 to Nov. 7, 1814. Raised at Livermore. Service at Portland.

Capt. I. Horn's Company, Capt. Col. W. Ryerson's Regiment. From Sept. 25 to Nov. 7, 1814. Raised at Livermore. Service at Portland.

Thanks very much,

Elizabeth

P.S. Other Freeport family names are Coffin, Allen, Winslow, and from Calais and Machias,John Bohanon. Silas Allen of Freeport seemed a logical candidate, but I haven't found him on any records. 

Views: 104

Reply to This

Ancestry.com

Fold3.com

Search Military Records - Fold3

© 2018   Created by Chris Dunham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service