Interested in a link to publications or family stories mentioning Andrew Abbott (b. abt 1750) and his children. The only son I know about is George Abbott (1770), who married Tabitha Sawyer.  

Andrew was one of a second wave of settlers to Sumner. Son George spent much of his time in Falmouth, and some of George's children stayed in Sumner, some moved back and forth from Sumner to Cumberland County.  An online biographical review of Sumner, Maine contains information that Andrew Abbott was a Revolutionary War Soldier.

Cannot find information on Andrew's spouse or his other children. He was originally from Massachusetts but I don't know if he married there or in Maine. There are several men of this name listed in MA vital records but none of the records supplies any useful information.

Andrew Abbott, born around 1750 in Massachusetts

Settled in Butterfield Plantation (Sumner)

Was a Revolutionary War soldier

Son George b. 1770

George's children Daniel, Amos, William, George, Levi, Hannah.

Views: 208

Replies to This Discussion

Greetings Annette - I would first suggest going through:

______, Centennial History of the Town of Sumner, Me., 1798-1898 (West Sumner Me.: C.E. Handy, Jr., 1899).

Cole, Alfred, and Charles F. Whitman, A history of Buckfield, Oxford County, Maine : from the earliest ex... (Buckfield, Me.: [s.n.], 1915)

You can find an e-book version on archive.org or just go through the Bibliography link Chris set up on the Sumner page go to the tab up top : reference, drop down: places.  This is one of my 'secret weapons' when researching for clients. You can't honor an ancestor without understanding where and how they lived. 

After that check the history of Buckfield, then find a history of Falmouth. Check all the towns around Sumner this way. During this time period, the best way to locate a family is to be familiar with the old  town history books, allot  of them will have a basic genealogy included.

Also, if he was Rev War soldier, check the DAR/SAR database for more details, or go directly to Fold3.com for an amazing experience in some of Maine's under-appreciated history. It is a paid site, but you can find some of the same records at Ancestry.com. DON'T rely on the "copy, cut and paste" Member trees, find the original records yourself.

If you live in Maine, spend a day at the Maine State Archives and State Library in Augusta, Maine, Using the 'Search Room' upstairs and the Genealogy area in the Library downstairs.  They also have banks of computers you  can use with free access to Ancestry.com, HeritageQuest, and maybe Fold3. The librarians are wonderful, I believe they are a gift from the gods and endowed with endless patience.

Also, once the weather warms (we are unheated) come see us at the Increase Robinson Library, Tuesday and Thursdays 9-12. in the heart of Sumner, I am proud to volunteer there. We have an extensive collection of un-published manuscripts.

I hope this jump-starts your Abbot work, they are quite a family,

Kathryn

Thank you very much! I have read the histories you mention above and found minimal information.  Yes, I live in the Belfast area and I will certainly make a trip to your Library when the weather warms up and dries out.

Any results with the DAR/SAR patriot database? If you find him listed, I'll be happy to check Fold3.com for you when I return to my office.

Kathryn

The Abbotts named their male children the same names quite often, so it took me a while to figure out from the military databases that the three who fought in the Civil War at the same time were Abbott cousins & nephews. I definitely need to visit your library. thanks!

Hi, Annette~ I'm helping to update Maine Old Cemetery Association's Bicentennial Inscription Project which, in 1976, attempted to document burial locations of all Maine's Revolutionary War veterans. Your Andrew Abbott is not included ~ Have you found his burial place? And could you please share the link to the biographical review which gives his Revolutionary War service data?

As Kathryn Kelly notes, the Increase Robinson "Neighborhood House" Library in East Sumner contains a wealth of information & she's a great help. (I've a number of Revolutionary ancestors from Sumner, some also not mentioned in the '76 BIP project!)

RSS

Ancestry.com

Fold3.com

Search Fold3 Records

© 2017   Created by Chris Dunham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service