My daughter's family lore has Sarah Silence Abbott (married to John Henry Cole) as half Native American, but the census and death certificate state "white."  I'd be interested in any photos or further information on her genealogy. She was born in Franklin Plantation, Oxford County, Maine.

Views: 134

Replies to This Discussion

It would be helpful if you could provide some dates so we can put your family in historical perspective ;-)

Father: Andrew Abbott b 1816

Mother: Rachel Redding (Reading, Readin) b 1816

Birth: Dec 1837 in Franklin Plantation, Oxford, Maine

Married John Henry Cole, Salem MA, in 1867

Death 11 Aug 1908 in Everett, Middlesex, Massachusetts

Sorry!

Attachments:

Perhaps the "family lore" is referring to a different ancestor.

It seems you have identified both her parents and I don't see that either of them are Native American. The parents (Andrew J & Rachael L Abbott) are identified in Franklin Plantation records between 1837 and 1845 for the birth of 4 children (indexed records at www.familysearch.org). If Sarah is "half Native American", then at least one of her parents must have come from a Native community. These surnames are not found in Native American Communities in the Northeast. Her parents are showing up in normal public records in a time period when Native Americans are not generally found named in public records.

If you are certain you have the correct ancestor and believe the birth records are incorrect you should concentrate your research on demonstrating the records contain errors and are not trustworthy.

Nancy Lecompte

Research & Education Director

Ne-Do-Ba   www.nedoba.org

You have confirmed what I discovered.  I will continue to ask that branch of the family for bible records and photos for my daughter's sake.  It is difficult gathering information from an in-laws family. Thanks for your help.

RSS

Ancestry.com

Fold3.com

Search Fold3 Records

© 2017   Created by Chris Dunham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service