Hello everybody,

I am french, I live near a  town called Dol-de-Bretagne, on the northern coast of the Brittany.

The Captain Claude U. Bishop from the US Navy (1906 - 1981) had received the Navy Cross for an action near the town of Dol-de-Bretagne. I research the descendants of him (Children, grandchildren, cousin, etc...) because I research a picture of him for an exhibition about the liberation of Dol-de-Bretagne in 2014.

This hero is unknown here, because his action is not well known here. I am probably the first in the area of Dol-de-Bretagne to discover that he received the Navy Cross for his action near Dol. you can see here his citation for the navy cross : Link

If one of you can help me. I know (because I saw his grave on the website find a grave) he is buried at :

Maine veterans Memorial cemetery old
Augusta
Kennebec County
Maine, USA
Plot: SECTION J ROW 6 SITE 44

If anyone can help me... Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Antoine, from France

Views: 207

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here is the obituary of Claude U. Bishop. It says that he was survived by no children or grandchildren, but that he did have a sister in Texas:

Thank you Chris, this document is very interesting for me. I will try to find Mrs Mary Houser (more probably his family).

For all, do you think the town of Farmington can help me?

Hello, I sent an inquiry to the American Legion posts in his area to see if they have any pictures or further information.  The Legion often had portraits of past commanders on the walls.  I'll let you know if I hear anything!

RSS

© 2021   Created by Chris Dunham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service