I am trying to find the parents and grandparents of Dominicus Smith who died 22 Jan 1821. He served in the Revolutionary War. I believe his parents may be Roger Smith & Mary Jordan. Roger's parents appear to be Samuel Smith and Margaret Emery. Mary's parents are unknown although there is a Jordan family in York County and the name Dominicus is prominent among these Jordans. I have not been able to link Mary Jordan to this family though. I believe she would have been born around 1720. I am having trouble finding documentation for this line. 

Views: 162

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mary is a mystery to me as well. She and Roger named their youngest son Samuel Jordan Smith. Samuel and Olive (Plaisted) Jordan of Biddeford had a daughter Mary, but the Jordan Memorial says that she "m. 1758, Philip Goldthwait of Boston; d. one or two years after, leaving no children." The marriage intentions of Philip Goldthwait and Mary Jordan were published 7 June 1756 in Boston.

Samuel Jordan's widow married Rev. James Smith in 1744, which may be another connection between the Smith and Jordan families.

It's driving me a bit crazy because it seems so logical that Mary is from this family given the name connections. I also looked at the Jordan Memorial book and found the marriage intentions between Mary & Philip Goldthwait. I'll keep trying to figure out where to find the connection. 

I have been researching the Smiths as my grandmother was one.  I thought you might be interested in this article in the Maine Bugle beginning on page 212.  I have accessed it in google books.  https://books.google.com/books?id=OSDdS4QoCfkC&pg=PA213&lpg...

We have been unable to trace Roger Smith back to England.  

I am also a Jordan and have been working on that line as well.

RSS

© 2020   Created by Chris Dunham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service