I found that my ancestor was the defendant in a bigamy trial. The database has this information:

Name: Gideon C. Howard
Residence: Monmouth
Cause: Bigamy
Plantiff, Defendant or Deponent: Defendant
Court: Kennebec County Supreme Judicial Court
Session: May 1838
Volume & Page: 9-304-7322
Reference Code: 96-90
Other parties: State (plaintiff)

How would I go about getting the actual detailed record? His second wife, my ancestor, is named Ann. I know nothing about her except they were married (bigamously!) in Litchfield in 1837. I have no idea why he was in Maine, having grown up in NH, and everything is a dead end. Ann's death certificate does not even list her parents' names. I'm hoping the court records might have a clue, so I'd like to get the fullest record possible. Thanks.

Views: 194

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Historical Supreme Judicial Court records are available at the Maine State Archives. If you email them the details of the case, they should be able to tell you how much it will cost to obtain a copy of the case file. Since you know exactly where the file is located, I expect it should only cost $10 plus $.25 per page.
Thank you very much, Chris. I appreciate the help.

The Litchfield Historical Society has digitized and posted all the Town's old vital records on their website.  The marriage of Gideon Howard and Ann Lewis (sp?), both of Monmouth, is listed in 1838.  As was often the case the wedding COULD have been in 1837 but not recorded until later.  To find the original document go to Historical Society of Litchfield, then click on "Early Town Records" and then on "Town Records 1824-1839".  Use the page reference at the bottom of the screen and go to page 333.


© 2021   Created by Chris Dunham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service