Hello, I am looking for information on William  C Knight (b. abt 1863) who married Anne Melvina Powell,  in 1888.   I know who their children and grandchildren were. However , I CAN NOT find out where William C Knight came from or who his parents were! William and Annie Melvina and their daughters lived in Portland Cumberland Maine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Elizabeth

Views: 530

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This may possibly be your William and Melvina? If it is there is one birth record that may contain a little info for you from Portland?

The back of the Marriage record did not contain the Parents Names, only info on back was Volumes 10-11 Cape Elizabeth record of Marriages recorded in South Portland, Maine

As William was later a fisherman on Long Island, I think it's likely that he was the William Knight, aged 9, who lived on the "Portland Islands" in 1870. He was then living with James F. and Hannah Woodbury (along with Ella Knight, 12). This was James Frank and Hannah F. (Cushing) Woodbury of Long Island.

A Hannah F. "Cashing" married 23 Dec. 1858 in Cape Elizabeth Noah B. Knight. They lived in Cape Elizabeth in 1860 with infant daughter Margaret E. Knight. Noah B. and Hannah F. (Cushing) Knight were divorced in 1865. I suspect that Hannah was the mother of Margaret E. (Ella) Knight and William Knight, and that she remarried James F. Woodbury of Long Island. Ella M. Knight married 22 Oct. 1875 Warren A. Doughty, and lived for many years on Long Island, and is buried in the same cemetery as Hannah F. Woodbury. Noah B. Knight is buried in South Portland with his second wife.

The divorce record of Noah B. and Hannah Knight may give the names, and perhaps even the birthdates, of their children, which would confirm or disprove my theory.

This would be the record of H/anna/h F and Noah from ancestry.

This is perhaps the Marriage record of James Franklin Woodbury and Hannah F Shilling Cushing.

This would be Noah Knight obituary from 

Date: May 24, 1901
Paper: Boston Herald

The other son mentioned in this obituary is I believe Fred A Knight And of course the daughter is listed under Noah Knight's Memorial, listed above.

Be,, thank you for your time and the information that you sent! What a great help!

Elizabeth

Chris, thank you so very much for this information! Wow, this is really something to work with! Thank you for the links too!!!
Elizabeth

Chris, I think you may have this correct? I found this land document that suggests that William and Annie bought land of James F Woodbury on Long Island. It would be almost impossible for the names involved not to work.

Ah, very good. I didn't notice the Woodbury reference. This is pretty convincing evidence.

More proof of Cushing relationship, William and Annie's daughter Grace. Take special notice of William's middle name.

hello, and yes, I've found these records as well.  The Grace E Knight in the left hand column is a sister to Annie Willena Knight (married to James Henry Floyd.  Looking now at Noah B Knight b.1808 Cape Elizabeth, ME, married (?) Margaret Ella Tucker (whom may have been divorced from Sewell Steven Tucker)  Looking for mother of Noah B Knight b.1839 Cape Elizabeth.  Any clues?  Happy hunting, Cindy Hinton

RSS

© 2020   Created by Chris Dunham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service