I have come to the conclusion in doing genealogy in Maine, especially going into the old records (1600-early 1800s), that any reference to an Indian (Native American) being the wife of any white person was completely scrubbed from the genealogical records. Instead they would just give the first name of the woman (generally it was an English name). Does anyone else come into this blank wall!!!!!!

Views: 85

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well I have to agree with that....I don't know about Native women but Wives, Moms and Grandmothers in general are always a challenge to "confirm" that you are talking about the same person. If I have to research one more "Mary" Kimball born about 1860...I just might give up!

Ward
Well, whether it is the Vinton Memorial, the New England Genealogical Records, or simply Maine Records, I NEVER find anything to do with someone who is married to an Indian. We know they did. I read the accounts of Sir William Johnson, whose wife (who was an indian) was sent to Canada just before the Revolutionary War. She had children, but no one seems to "recollect", who they are, or their ancestry. In fact, his wife (although the English never acknowledged this fact), her brother was Sir John Johnson, Bart. Now he had many, many children, throughout Canada and New York, however, again, they are never mentioned. I know for a fact, there were many tribes in Maine, however, never are they mentioned. Well, that makes doing genealogy a chore. Especially with my family and the Johnsons or Greens. Only some are mentioned or records made in the "public arena". Everything else seems to be "hush-hush"
Yep! it was common practice to hide them out of fear and Ignorance. I didn't know until I was 32 that I had Mi'kmaq and Maliseet Ancestry. My father told me before he died that it was the reason he left Maine at 17. I grew up in California and never knew any of his family.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Dunham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service