Hello. My 2nd great Grandfather, Richard Bedell, was born 27 Dec. 1818 in Bangor, Penobscot, Maine. On 3 Oct. 1840, he married Elizabeth R. Crosby in Brewer, Penobscot, Maine. Elizabeth died 28 August 1849 in Bradley Penobscot Maine. 13 years later, he married my 2nd Great Grandmother Margaret Hannah Rhines in Richardsville Pennsylvania. Trying to find any information about the Bedell family in the area where Richard was born. Having no luck at all. I believe at some point I had read that his father's name was also Richard, but haven't been able to confirm that. Hoping to find anyone that might know anything about the family. Thank you.

Views: 168

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This marriage record gives his parents' names and Richard and Hannah Bedell.

There was a Richard Bedell who lived in Penobscot County around the time of the younger Richard's birth, and who lived in Brewer in 1850 and 1860. This source mistakenly says that he died in 1847, and gives the name of his first wife as Rachel Haggett. We have here a 1805 marriage record between a Richard Beedle and Hannah Hagget, and another from 1806 between Richard Beedle and Rachel Haggot.

A 1998 issue of the Maine Genealogist included an article titled "Using a travelogue to piece together the family of Richard Bedell of Brewer, Maine." It might offer additional evidence that Richard was the son of Richard and Rachel (Haggett) Bedell.

Thank you Chris, I've seen those documents before but unfortunately cannot connect the two together with documentation. Looking on ancestry.com, various people have traced Richard Bedell back to a famous military man in the revolutionary war without proper documents. I don't want to do the same and just assume. Is there a way to get birth documents from 1818 in Brewer Maine? Thank you

The elder Richard Bedell doesn't appear in Brewer census records until 1840, so there is only a small chance that the younger Richard's birth would have been recorded there. Richard was probably the same who lived in Mariaville in 1810, and in Jarvis Gore (now Clifton) in 1820 and 1830. Birth records from that era would be held by the clerks of the respective towns.

The 1998 Maine Genealogist article may point you toward further documentation.

Hi Kelly,

I have not worked on this part of my family for quite a long time, but feel free to reach out to me if you want to exchange ideas. 

kennethclark17@gmail.com

Best,

Ken Clark

RSS

© 2022   Created by Chris Dunham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service