U.S. Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007

Ancestry.com has added the U.S. Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007 to its website.

This database picks up where the Social Security Death Index (SSDI) leaves off by providing more details than those included in the SSDI. It includes information filed with the Social Security Administration through the application or claims process, including valuable details such as birth date, birth place, and parents’ names. While you will not find everybody who is listed in the SSDI in this database, data has been extracted for more than 49 million people.

Information you may find includes:

• applicant's full name
  • SSN
  • date and place of birth
  • citizenship
  • sex
  • father's name
  • mother's maiden name
  • race/ethnic description (optional)

You may also find details on changes made to the applicant's record, including name changes and life or death claims. You may also find some unusual abbreviations or truncated entries for county and other names and punctuation errors in the data. These are in the original; we have not altered the text.

A search for Maine people turns up 277,597 results, including two of my grandparents.

Views: 560

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just tried using it and didn't have any luck. I put parent's names in to try and got no returns. One return on my mother's name got a completely different name, male and different birthdate. Felt like I must be doing something wrong.

Yes, this database is kind of hit-or-miss. But it does include many deaths from the 1940s and '50s that don't appear in the SSDI, and I was able to find some previously unknown middle names for some relatives.

My dad died in '52. I find him in the regular SS lookup. Nothing on this. Hmm...

RSS

Ancestry.com

Fold3.com

Search Military Records - Fold3

© 2018   Created by Chris Dunham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service