Does anyone know if Vital Records are available from the Town Clerk in Rumford?  I tried once before and was unsuccessful.  I have gotten Vital Records from Bethel, Paris and Caribou.  Another member of this board kindly got be some records from Newry (Thanks Mary!).  I understand there are new rules in place that one has to 'prove' descent to get vital records now. 

Views: 141

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They should be available from the town clerk, though some clerks are more helpful than others. If the records you need are older than 100 years, you shouldn't have to prove your descent.

Records earlier than 1892 are also available on microfilm through your local Family History Center, if you don't need them to be certified.
The 'hundred year' rule makes sense and I believe that's what it is in New Hampshire. I just had a town clerk in Maine request 'proof of descent' for a record more than 200 years old! She said the new law was effective effective July 12, 2010. There is a Family History Center nearby. They usually don't have the microfilm on site, but can get it upon request.
Here's some info on the new law.

RSS

© 2020   Created by Chris Dunham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service