I am researching my Grand Aunt Margaret Tompkins Whited Yerxa. born abt 1905

1910 US Census shows her living in the household of William & Hattie (Freeman) Whited as 2nd cousin.

1920 US Census shows her as adopted daughter.

Marriage records list her mother and father as William & Hattie. (1925)

Who are her parents?

I had previously assumed that her parents were Henry & Myrtle (Dobson) Tompkins, but cannot connect the dots.  There is a birth record for a "not known' daughter by Henry and Myrtle.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ralph

Views: 67

Replies to This Discussion

It appears that William Whited and Henry Tompkins were first cousins. Here's the back of William's marriage record, showing his mother's name as Elizabeth Estey. And here's the back of Henry's marriage record, showing his mother as Rhoda Estey.

Rhoda was born 1841 in New Brunswick. Elizabeth was born 1842 in Brunswick. The 1851 census shows an Estey family living in Douglas, York County, New Brunswick with daughters Rhoda, 11, and Elizabeth A., 9. Here's the same family in 1861. This census shows that they had a brother George. George seems to have been living with Fred and Elizabeth (Estey) Whited in Bridgewater in 1880.

We find Margaret's father living with his parents in Bridgewater in 1910, divorced, with her older siblings. Her mother, Myrtle (Dobson) Tompkins, married Howard T. Leigh Wood in 1909.

Thank you Chris!

Awesome detective work!

I really appreciate your efforts.

I don't know why I couldn't have figured this out myself. Too much info going through my brain. :)

Thanks again!

Ralph

RSS

Ancestry.com

Fold3.com

Search Military Records - Fold3

© 2018   Created by Chris Dunham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service