I am searching for the parents of Samuel Getchell or Gatchel born in Maine 1745 and married Olive Pierce at Hallowell in 1790.  Some Getchell websites do not list Olive as a spouse.  Samuel married Sarah Simmons at Hallowell in 1765.  Sarah died in 1788 leaving 12 children.  According to one website he did not marry again until 1809.  At that time he married Mary Tibbets.  I cannot believe that with 12 children born from 1766 to 1788 that he did not marry sooner.  I would like to know more about Olive Pierce and her ancestors.  I have found info on two daughters of Samuel & Olive's, Sarah(Sally) and Mary.  My connection  to the Getchell or Gatchel family is the Michels or Michaels family that appeared in Colonial Massachusetts in about 1725 and a some years later in Maine.  The Michels and some Getchells later moved to Illinois.

Sarah (Sally) Getchell married a James Michels in Clinton, ME in1806.

James drowned in 1817 before the Michels left Maine.  Sally and her children traveled with the Michels family to Illinois.  She later married James' brother, John Michels, Jr. - my ancestor.  I am hoping someone somewhere has info on these two families.

Thanks 

Views: 788

Replies to This Discussion

I too am researching Getchell/Gatchell from Maine; 
Joanna/Hannah Getchell/Gatchell, of Cape Elizabeth, married in 1749 in Cape Elizabeth, to Philip Gammon of Gorham; record of marriage also recorded in Falmouth, (Portland), ME records. 
The Getchell/Gatchell/Gitchell/etc as a whole, are a confusing lot. 

RSS

© 2020   Created by Chris Dunham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service