Ancestry.com recently added a collection of returns from U.S. military posts, including 13 located within the state of Maine.
Army Regulations stipulated that every post was to submit a return to the Adjutant General, usually at monthly intervals. These returns showed:
- The units stationed at each post
- The strength of each unit
- Names and duties of the officers
- Number of officers present and absent
- Listing of official communications received
- Record of events
Note that these records are mostly of "regular army" units, rather than state companies. Relatively few enlisted men are mentioned, but if your ancestor served in the U.S. Army and was stationed here, you might want to take a look.