[p. 95]ContinueWEST SUMNER BAPTIST CHURCH.
THE founding of the West Sumner Baptist church was largely the result of the labors of Rev. Manasseh Lawrence, pastor of the…
Added by Chris Dunham on February 5, 2010 at 2:30am — No Comments
[p. 67]ContinueCANTON BAPTIST CHURCH.
THE town, incorporated by this name, was set off from Jay in 1821. The first religious interest in this place was in its early settlement, in…
Added by Chris Dunham on February 2, 2010 at 1:39pm — No Comments
[p. 64]ContinuePERU BAPTIST CHURCH.
PLANTATION Number One, from which, in 1821, was incorporated the town of Peru, was settled about the year 1800. Some Baptist families were among…
Added by Chris Dunham on February 2, 2010 at 1:30pm — No Comments
[p. 61]ContinueWELD AND CARTHAGE BAPTIST CHURCH.
FROM a short history of this church, written in 1847 by Isaac Barrett, we glean the following facts. The town of Weld was formerly…
Added by Chris Dunham on February 2, 2010 at 1:22pm — No Comments
Added by Chris Dunham on January 30, 2010 at 1:30am — No Comments
Librarian Carver has secured for the Maine State library several…Continue
Added by Chris Dunham on January 30, 2010 at 1:00am — No Comments
Added by Chris Dunham on January 25, 2010 at 5:00pm — No Comments
City and town clerks in Maine are now making preparations to carry out the provisions of the new vital statistics law, passed by the last Legislature and to go into effect on Jan. 1st. The young man who…Continue
Added by Chris Dunham on January 21, 2010 at 3:30pm — No Comments
Which is where Morgan Bickerstaff enters our story. She works for the Red Cross in Portland. "Every request starts and ends with the local chapter,"…Continue
Added by Chris Dunham on January 19, 2010 at 11:30pm — No Comments
[p. 50]ContinueSECOND BAPTIST CHURCH, LIVERMORE.
THE means of gaining information concerning the history of this church are very limited, but as far as we are able we will present…
Added by Chris Dunham on January 12, 2010 at 11:30pm — No Comments
LOCKE MILLS—Orlando E. Jordan, 68, died unexpectedly at his home here, Sunday morning.
He was born in the Bird Hill section of Bethel, March 8, 1903, the son of Charles and Ella Thomas Jordan. He was educated in Greenwood schools and married the former Gladys Dunham, Dec. 16, 1922. Mr. Jordan was employed here at Ekco…
Added by Chris Dunham on January 6, 2010 at 3:43am — No Comments
ONE OF GEN. WASHINGTON'S LIFE GUARD.…
Mr. and Mrs. Llewellyn Knapp of Houlton celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary Saturay, April 17, at the home of their daughter and son-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd Farrar in Amity.
A turkey dinner was served to [?]0 members of the family and open house was observed in the evening. The anniversary cake was made by their daughter, Mrs. Frederick Drinkwater of Longmeadow, Mass.
Mr. and Mrs. Knapp were…
Added by Chris Dunham on January 6, 2010 at 12:04am — No Comments
Miss Pauline Helen Farrar, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd Farr of Amity, and Joseph Harold Ledger, son of Mr. and Mrs. Maurice Ledger were married Friday morning at eight at St. Mary's church with Rev. Michael Tierney officiating at the double ring…
Added by Chris Dunham on January 5, 2010 at 5:34pm — No Comments
GORHAM, N.H.—Hollis E. Coolidge, 82, died Thursday afternoon at his home, 46 Lancaster Road.
He was born June 1, 1879, at Upton, Maine, the son of John and Sybil Paine Coolidge. He was educated in Upton schools. He had resided in this community for the past 45 years, and was a retired farmer. Mrs. Coolidge died in August, 1948.
Surviving are a son, Stuart,…
Added by Chris Dunham on January 5, 2010 at 5:06pm — No Comments
BETHEL—Dr. Raymond Richard Tibbetts, 82, holder of the 55 and 50 years medals of honor from the Maine Medical Association, died Thursday at his home here. He had been ill since July.
Dr. Tibbetts was born in Palermo, Sept. 11, 1875, son of Woodbury and Cynthia Stevens Tibbetts. He married Pearl Evangeline Ashby of Presque Isle and had two children, Mrs. F. Barron Freeman, Ithaca, N.Y., and Miss…
Added by Chris Dunham on January 5, 2010 at 4:30pm — No Comments
[p. 24]ContinueFIRST BAPTIST CHURCH, LIVERMORE.
THE first settlers of the Town of Livermore came about the year 1780. In a church history, printed in 1894, we find this…
A memorial plaque, which had been obscured by trees for 30 years, was rededicated at the site of the Pepperrell tomb and cemetery, off Pepperrell Road across from Frisbee's Market.
The Pepperrell Tomb was built in 1720 as a family cemetery site. When Col. Pepperrell died in 1734, Sir William…Continue
Added by Chris Dunham on November 11, 2009 at 4:30pm — No Comments
Greenwood — Toivo F. Tamlander, 72, died Sunday at the Pike Hill Nursing Home, Norway, after a long illness.
He was born in Alakeere, Finland, Oct. 5, 1896, the son of Nestor and Edla Tamlander. He moved to this country in 1915 and had lived here since 1936.
He moved here from…
Added by Chris Dunham on November 8, 2009 at 8:30pm — No Comments